Honoring fallen officers
Wed, 05/12/2021 - 6:37pm admin
Marcie Klomp ~ News Editor firstname.lastname@example.org
CRESCO - Howard County Sheriff Tim Beckman hosted a memorial service to kick off Peace Officers Memorial Week, May 9-15.
Showing that “Blue Lives Matter,” current and former officers, as well as some Howard County veterans, attended the service.
Howard County Dispatcher Rita Roberts was mentioned for her service, before her death on Jan. 17, 2021.
In addition, nearly 44 years ago, Deputy Sheriff Stevan H. Owen was killed in a head-on collision.
Paster Tim Sir of Cresco First Congregational Church gave the address. He addressed the officers on hand, “This is for those who have fallen, but is for you too.”
He prayed, “Thank you for all these men and women who serve you by serving others. We rest better at night knowing our lives are safe.
“We pray your divine protection upon each of our police men and women. We pray Isaiah 54:17 for them that no weapon formed against them will prosper. We pray Psalm 34:7 that your protecting angels will surround them. We pray Deuteronomy 31:6 that they will be strong, courageous and fearless.”
He ended by saying, “We pray James 1:5 that you will generously give them wisdom and discernment in every situation.”
Deputy Sheriff Stevan Henry Owen was on duty the evening/morning of June 4-5, 1977. at 12:15 a.m., he was hit head-on by Paul Middleton, 17 of Mason City, who crossed the center line near Riceville. Both drivers were pronounced dead at the scene.
Owen was 30 years old and married, with one child. He graduated from Postville Community School in 1965. He had joined the Howard County Sheriff’s Department six months before his death.
So far in 2021, there have been 119 line-of-duty deaths in the United States. Iowa has seen three this year:
• Conservation Officer Steven Reighard, Jan. 8, 2021, COVID-19
• Correctional Officer Robert McFarland, March 23, 2021, Assault
• Sergeant James K. Smith, April 9, 2021, Gunfire
Officers currently serving in Howard County include:
• Sheriff’s Department: Sheriff Beckman; Chief Deputy, Ryan Vandewalker; Deputies Darwin Kueker, Wade Michels, Jacob Hofstra and Milan Grubl; Narcotics Investigator, Shane Thorsten; Investigator Rich Hollenbeck; Dispatch/Jailers, Jessica Gesell, Cathy Cleveland, Michelle Kuhn, Becky Hodges, Sami Swestka, Alyse Fouts and Melaney Walkes; and Civil Deputy and Jail Administrator, Jennifer Bauer
• Cresco Police Department: Chief of Police Tim Ruroden, Assistant Chief David D. Winkie, Lieutenant David M. Godman, Sergeant Troy D. Brandau and (in training) Ben Hillyer.