Cresco council gives grants at Jan. 7 meeting
Wed, 01/23/2019 - 1:12pm admin
By Marcie Klomp ~ News Editor email@example.com
Cresco - Cresco City Council members approved the fourth quarter Travel & Tourism grants at their first meeting of the year on Jan. 7.
FIT Running Club’s St. Patrick’s Day Brew & Stew requested $1,500 for advertising, which the committee recommended to council. The total cost of the project is $11,000.
Cresco Area Chamber of Commerce requested $2,000 for marketing of local events, which was approved. The total cost of the project is about $4,600.
Driftrunners Inc asked for $3,500 to help fund Snowfest. Total cost of the project is $8,000-10,000. The group received the amount for which it asked.
Howard-Winneshiek Genealogical Society was turned down for the $2,000 it requested to digitize old Cresco newspapers. The committee noted it was a commendable project but did not meet the definition of tourism.
• Quotes for the 2019 stump grinding contract were received from four companies. Walton Tree Service was bid at 84¢ per inch and Complete Tree Service was quoted at 80¢ per inch. In addition, the low bid of 75¢ per inch was given by both Wilson Custom Tree of Cresco and Total Tree Care of Decorah. Council members awarded the contract to the local contractor, Wilson Custom Tree.
• City Clerk Michelle Girolamo noted the Cresco Community Fire Department gave a donation of $85,000 from fund-raisers and donations to the City for SCBA (Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus) or air pack. The Fire Department Commission asked for and received $20,000 from the Fire Operating Fund to purchase SCBA equipment. The account is funded by 50 percent City and 50 percent Rural Fire.
• A Class C Liquor License with Sunday Sales was approved for Hideaway Lounge. A Class C Liquor License with Catering Privilege and Sunday Sales was approved for McAllister Catering.
• Richard Kittelson Consulting LLC was approved for a tree surgeon license.
• Portions of both South Park Place and North Elm Street were approved for a street closing for the March 16 Brew & Stew, sponsored by FIT Running Club.
City Council went into closed session to discuss the possible purchase of real estate.