NEW HAMPTON - Four Crestwood cross country runners finished in the top 15 last Tuesday at the Northeast Iowa Conference meet in New Hampton to earn all-NEIC honors.
In the varsity girls’ meet, Hope Dohlman (fifth, 20:45.7), Gretchen Vandervort (10th, 21:20.9) and Lydia Beran (15th, 21:39.8) all grabbed NEIC honors for Crestwood. Vanderfort has earned All-NEIC honors three times for the Cadets, Beran is a four-time All-NEIC runner and Dohlman nabbed All-NEIC honors for the first time. Cadet junior Michael Mashek placed sixth in 17:29.4 to earn NEIC honors for the first time in the boys’ meet.
The Crestwood varsity girls’ team finished third overall with 84 points, and the Cadet varsity boys’ squad placed fifth with 112 points. Decorah won the team title in the varsity girls’ and varsity boys’ meets.
In the Junior Varsity boys’ meet, the Cadets placed fourth overall with 113 points as Chance Throndson led the team by placing 13th in 20:44.2. Crestwood’s JV girls’ team finished fourth with 120 points as Hannah Sheehy placed 22nd in 24:56.3.
Crestwood Head Coach Jim Obermann said he was “very proud” of the way all the Cadet runners competed at the NEIC meet.
“All of our boys and girls competed very well,” Obermann said. “They all fought hard, and most of our runners improved upon their finishing times from last week’s meet (Oct. 8 at New Hampton).”
The coach was happy to see the Cadet varsity girls’ team place third behind two strong teams in Decorah (first) and Charles City (second).
“I felt good about the girls placing third overall, and it was great to have three All-Conference girls in Hope Dohlman, Gretchen Vandervort and Lydia Beran. Hope has had a tremendous year, and she has really stepped up her approach this season. Lydia and Gretchen both ran well, and it was a nice accomplishment for both of them to earn all-conference honors again.
“In the girls’ meet, it was also good to see Sami Bigalk and Madison Fitzgerald both run a very strong race. Our JV girls’ team also competed well overall,” Obermann said.
The coach also gave kudos to Cadet junior Michael Mashek, who nabbed All-NEIC honors with a sixth place finish.
“Michael has been one of our top runners all year,” the coach said. “It was a hard meet, but he still improved his time, fought hard and ran with a lot of heart. Kaden Anderlik and Nathan Martinek also improved their times and ran well.
“Our conference is very strong on the boys’ side, and our boys showed they have a lot of fight in them. We knew it would have taken a tremendous effort (to place higher than fifth).
“With the boys’ team, we have four guys running who weren’t running last year, and we’ve made a lot of great strides. Overall, the future is very bright for us. We appreciate all the good fan support we’ve received this year,” Obermann said.
The Cadets will compete in the Class 3A State Qualifying Meet Oct. 22 at 4 p.m. at Oneota Golf Course in Decorah. The top 15 individuals and top three teams will qualify for the State Meet Oct. 31 in Fort Dodge.
Varsity girls’ teams
1. Decorah 26 points; 2. Charles City 39; 3. Crestwood 84; 4. Waverly-SR 92; 5. New Hampton 153; 6. Waukon 158.
Cadet varsity girls
5. Hope Dohlman 20:45.7; 10. Gretchen Vandervort 21:20.9; 15. Lydia Beran 21:39.8; 23. Sami Bigalk 22:55.5; 31. Madison Fitzgerald 24:07.0; 32. Amber Hinck 24:16.7; 33. Sarah Mashek 24:22.3.
Varsity boys’ teams
1. Decorah 29; 2. Charles City 85; 3. Waukon 87; 4. Waverly-SR 88; 5. Crestwood 112; 6. New Hampton 121.
Cadet varsity boys
6. Michael Mashek 17:29.4; 18. Nathan Martinek 18:19.4; 21. Kaden Anderlik 18:32.7; 28. Ryan Steffen 19:02.1; 39. Joey Labosky 19:45.5; 40. Blake Murphy 20:04.8; 43. Dylan Johnson 20:38.0.
JV girls’ teams
1. Decorah 17; 2. Charles City 43; 3. WSR 77; 4. Crestwood 120; 5. New Hampton 153.
Cadet JV girls
22. Hannah Sheehy 24:56.3; 23. Shaunna Erickson 25:21.4; 24. Sabrina Andera 26:23.8; 25. Emily Reinhart 26:40.3; 26. Kendra Berns 27:23.9; 28. Nikki Saltou 27:37.6; 29. Emma Clement 28:17.1.
JV boys’ teams
1. Decorah 15; 2. Waverly-SR 60; 3. Charles City 91; 4. Crestwood 113; 5. Waukon 128; 6. New Hampton 156.
Cadet JV boys
13. Chance Throndson 20:44.2; 14. Kyle Quam 20:45.7; 25. Josh Born 21:18.3; 30. Ryan Wilson 22:06.0; 31. Kristian Szajna 22:07.5; 33. Boston Ferrie 22:46.2; 35. Ethan Hoppe 23:19.6.